Custom recharge threshold

Hi,

KeyCDN should have an Auto Recharge Threshold that recharges when credits are under a certain amount other than $0.

For business-continuity, it’s incredibly dangerous that KeyCDN doesn’t recharge until the balance has already reached $0. If there’s a problem charging the credit card, the customer has VERY SHORT TIME to deal with this, or you get pushed off the internet.

If you combine this with any kind of emergency like being in the hospital, this will mean finding your CDN having been either suspended or actually deleted. If you use PushCDN, it also means having your content deleted, meaning that you can’t recover simply by paying the bill. If you have a real emergency or you’re dead, it means that someone else, maybe even a family member, now has to sort through setting up KeyCDN again.

We earn our living from our website, and a billing error combined with an emergency will destroy our finances. Please add the ability to recharge when the balance has hit $20 or $100 or $500 or some user-defined amount.

If business-continuity matters, this feature is essential, and it’s normal with pre-paid services.

Can I configure any CDN spending limits?

You will have 7 days after the payment fails to fix this issue. The 7 days are dependent on your last payment amount and your traffic volume. Learn more about this: https://www.keycdn.com/faq#credits-notify

Yes, but 7 days is nothing if there’s a real emergency. We’re a small 2 person company with one being the IT guy. It’s completely possible to be in the hospital longer than that. There can be email delivery issues.

You’re simply driving very close to the edge, because 7 days is a countdown to a thermonuclear event of you being pushed off the internet, content deleted, so that even paying the bill doesn’t bring you back online.

Now add to this that you’ve died, and it’s your grieving family who suddenly has to quickly bring in an IT guy to figure out how everything works. My family depends on the income from this website, and if I die, it’s not guaranteed that I can be replaced in 7 days and everything can get back to being handled normally. My family will lose its income unless they’re REALLY on top of the IT stuff while organizing my funeral.

So yes, in a perfect world where no accidents happen, 7 days in fine. In the real world, and I speak from experience, the probability of this happening is higher than zero, and over a 10-20 year time period, you’re going to statistically trigger a perfect storm, and you’re really in trouble.

Adding a recharge threshold, which is normal for many pre-paid services by the way, will add significant billing redundancy. Allow people to attach a second credit card like Amazon AWS does also adds significant redundancy.

It’s easy enough to say that “this will never happen to me”. But if you’re website is a business and you’re serious and professional, then this is an obvious point of catastrophic failure that you WILL trigger if you expose yourself to the risk for long enough.

It definitely is helped that you scale the tolerance to the last payment. So we’ll promptly set the recharge amount to $500 or $1000.

But still, you’re waiting too long to inform if you wait for the account to hit rock bottom. It pushes people towards an emergency.

It would be much safer to rebill $500 every time it goes under $500. Then there’s plenty of grace period, we have a month to deal with whatever issues we could have without having the threat of destruction hanging over us. And the ability to add multiple cards would have the same effect.

And yet another thing you could do is to implement PayPal pre-approved payments. Then you (via PayPal) can charge from your bank account or a series of credit cards, making it improbable that payment would ever fail.

For a serious website hosting effectively 90% of its page display from a CDN, you can’t live with always being 7 days away from catastrophic failure. You could improve this. I’d like to know that I could die and the website would keep going for at least a few months, without having a tiny second failure take down the whole ship.

This is simple risk management.

Anyway, we’ve also talked via email. The point is not to insist that you make my exact implementation, only that the underlying issue is addressed in some may. Either of the suggestions above would individually give more billing redundancy.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I added the custom recharge threshold to our roadmap as this would allow to increase the 7 days limit. There are already plans to support the automated payment via PayPal but this will follow later this year.

2 Likes

Excellent! That makes you safer to use than all or most other CDN providers. For a guy like me, this would look good in the bullet points for KeyCDN on the main page, that you have lots of billing redundancy, so your website will never go offline for any reason.

I’m a new customer here, but I’m really impressed, and we’re staying. We used to be hosting partly with Cloudfront for authenticated downloads, and MaxCDN via 100TB.com. It was a billing glitch, and what we perceived as an indifferent attitude about it, that made us reevaluate our setup. We though that MaxCDN directly was too expensive (every feature costs separately, and their origin hosting is literally $1/GB/month).

You were recommended by someone on Webhosting talk, and I’m blown away. We’ve already migrated all our zones, we’re now using secure tokens for paid content, the MaxCDN and Amazon accounts are terminated. And the website loads faster than it has ever loaded. The price is right. And you care about your CDN.

So this is top notch, and we’re thrilled to have migrated.

1 Like